The Business of Commercial Photography
Wednesday 6th of June at 10PM EST (your time: http://goo.gl/bMhDB ) we’ll have a hangout with special guests: +Sean Armenta +Peter Hurley +Bill Cahill. Of course we’ll have Dave Nitsche and few more cool guys with us:-)
We’ll be discussing the business side of commercial photography: How much to charge, where to start with self promotion, how to make money on licensing your work and much more. We’ll talk about real stuff, with real numbers and experience.
So far I have these questions/topics to be covered:
- How do you charge for your work: per hour/per final images, etc? How much do you charge?
- Do you work with a representative? If yes, was it possible for you to work w/o a representative?
- Do you license your images? What’s the most common license customers ask and what do they receive? What’s the difference in cost of different licenses?
- How much did you charge at the beginning of your career? Did the price change since then? Was it easy to raise it (if it was raised:-)
- How many people do you have involved in typical photoshot?
- How often do you rent equipment? What do you usually rent?
- How do you advertise/promote yourself? Which works better for you: word of mouth or paid AD placement/direct mail?
Our guests are well known established professional commercial photographers and they agreed to share things which are usually kept hidden. If you have anything to be added to the list I have posted here: I’ll grab your questions and will make sure to ask our guests.
Please share this to spread the word. It will be a very interesting talk-show for most photographers and those who want to become one.
Want to see our previous hangouts? All of them are here: PHOTIGY LIVE.