Learn how to use light painting in jewelry photography
About The Course
Pros and Cons of the Light Painting technique from this photography course:
- Low-Cost Lighting Setup: Setup: No special lighting gear is required, you can do light painting with any flashlight or LED fixture (more about this during the course gear lesson)
- Unique Look For Gemstones: With a special technique shown in this jewelry photography course photographer will be able to create a very detailed image of large gemstones, with a unique look of internal and external facets, and create the best look for a jewelry piece.
- Easy Background Color Switching: Ability to switch between white/black and any other background without changing the composition or re-mounting the jewelry piece.
- Creative Look For True Artistic Jewelry Work: With light painting, a photographer is not limited by the shape/size of light modifiers which allows creating a true artistic photos for the most beautiful jewelry pieces.
- Since Focus Stacking is not possible, the photographer is limited by the maximum DOF (depth of field) of the lens. Therefore, a good macro lens is more preferable. More about this on the course’s gear lesson.
- Light Painting won’t work for a catalog-style image, where repeatable results (same look) is required.
This course is for you, if you are:
Beginner in jewelry photography or a hobbyist looking for an easy way to start taking images of jewelry, watches and small crafts without spending money on studio equipment.
Experienced product/jewelry photographer who are looking for ways to add new, more creative techniques to make their pictures of jewelry standout and will attract more customers and make photography their business more competitive in the market place.
Jewelry maker that want to create artistic images of their own products, without hiring a professional photographer and those who want to learn specifics of creating a variety of different image styles for your commercial clients.
- Mirrorless or DSLR camera, 50-150mm lens (macro lens is necessary for subjects smaller than 6-10 inches)
- LED flashlight or LED lighting fixture that can be used hand-held.
- Camera Tripod (heavier is better)
- Remote camera shutter release or tethered connection to a computer running a tethered shooting software
- Adobe Photoshop (CS6 or latest cloud editions)
Is there a way to ask an instructor a question/to show my work and get a feedback?
Yes, you can ask an instructor, as well as get a feedback on your work. We have a support forum for this course where you can ask questions, get answers, and feedback from your instructor.
What camera , lens and lighting do I need to have in order to use this course and make similar photos?
Please refer to a “required gear” section of this page above
Hello everyone, Today is a very very big day, I just got my very first cllient (who pay me :)) for Still life photography, Jewelery to be more specific!!! It's a very big step for me, and I...Read more
Dear Alex, thank you sooooo much for all your help! You are wonderful. I wish I found Photigy years ago. I don't feel so alone any longer in my struggle with learning about jewellery photography....Read more
|Theory and Gear|
|Light Painting for Jewelry Photographers: Course Introduction and Gear||FREE||00:30:00|
|Light Painting for Jewelry Photographers: How to paint with the light||00:08:00|
|Light Painting for Jewelry Photographers: Shooting Gold Ring #1||00:22:00|
|Light Painting for Jewelry Photographers: Shooting Gold Ring #2||00:16:00|
|Light Painting for Jewelry Photographers: Shooting Blue Ring #1||00:13:00|
|Light Painting for Jewelry Photographers: Shooting Blue Ring #2||00:06:00|
|Light Painting for Jewelry Photographers: Moonstone ring photography||00:12:00|
|Light Painting for Jewelry Photographers: Watch shot||00:32:00|
|Light Painting for Jewelry Photographers: Final Thoughts||00:07:00|
|Light Painting, Blue Ring: Post-Production, part 1||00:32:00|
|Light Painting, Blue Ring: Post-Production, part 2||00:07:00|
|Light Painting, Blue Ring: Post-Production, part 3||00:25:00|
|Light Painting, Moonstone Ring: Post-Production, part 1||00:14:00|
|Light Painting, Moonstone Ring: Post-Production, part 2||00:18:00|
|Light Painting, Moonstone Ring: Post-Production, part 3||00:28:00|
|Light Painting, Pink Ring on White: Post-Production, part 1||00:15:00|
|Light Painting, Pink Ring on White: Post-Production, part 2||00:18:00|
|Light Painting, Pink Ring on White: Post-Production, part 3||00:31:00|
|Light Painting, Pink Ring on White: Post-Production, part 4||00:06:00|
|Light Painting, The Watch: Post-Production, part 1||00:15:00|
|Light Painting, The Watch: Post-Production, part 2||00:13:00|
|Light Painting, The Watch: Post-Production, part 3||00:18:00|