Select Page

Textile

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jerome Delécluse 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Jerome Delécluse
    Participant

Hi,
    There is some demand for catalogue photography concerning textile in my area. Mostly clothes, but some textile for decoration too. I would be interested by a course about that kind of subject. Some pictures require a model, but not the majority.

But, am I right thinking that photographing that kind of subject, mostly flat and mat, is technically not really difficult / interesting? Or could some technical aspect of this kind of subject justify a specific course on clothes/textile photography?

I was just wondering.
    jerome

Andrey Mikhaylov
    Keymaster

Jerome, technically it’s not that difficult, you’re right. But you have to show the structure in the right way to make sure that a viewer actually sees details on the textile and can identify the material right. I think the hardest part is styling and overall composition approaches.

Btw, such techniques are covered in the certification program: https://www.photigy.com/school/the-complete-guide-to-product-photography/

Jerome Delécluse
    Participant

Hello, thanks for the answer.
    I’m doing the certification program. I guess you are talking about capturing the texture of the material?

An important point that you mentioned: styling and composition. I’m sure I’m not the only photographer who would be interested in a course about that. Although that’s quite a different job, it can definitely help photographers that work alone. I also heard Alex saying that he was not good at it, but maybe he could be good at finding the right persons to make a whole course on that? The goal wouldn’t be to become a master in that field, but know enough when you have to work alone.

That could be styling / composition for jewelery/clothing/food/etc… photography.

Have a nice day.
    jerome

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.