Topics covered in this article:
- The real Estimate we used on one of our assignments. Same format was used for all our estimates we send for small local clients
- This is the invoice was sent to the client after job was done
- This is how a quote request looks like for a large nationwide client.
- This is the quote we sent to the client. Note how much stuff is included beside photographer’s fees
- Other links and resources
The real Estimate we used on one of our assignments. The same format was used for all our estimates we send for smaThe same local clients:
Below is a simplified license fees calculator we used for small jobs (i.e locals). We added percentage to creative fee ($120 per hour)
- Editorial: +100% ($240/hr). In reality, editorial price is determined by the buyer and it is usually lower than 240/hr. We always consider such job as an “advertisement” for us.
- Non-exclusive unlimited usage +200% ($360/hr)
- Exclusive unlimited for 3 year term: +500% ($720hr).
- All rights/buyout: we do not work like this. Usually such terms is for “for hire” work, when photographer works for somebody else, and all he/she produces belongs to an employer. If you ever decide to give all rights to client, make sure to reserve right to use images in your portfolio. Otherwise it is slavery.
This is the invoice was sent to the client after job was done:
We bill clients after all the tasks are completed and images delivered. Usual turnaround time is 10-60 days from the invoice date. Larger businesses tend to pay later than smaller.
We do not take any money upfront. Usually it does not work with corporate clients. However, it is possible to have a deposit fee, we just never tried it.
This is how a quote request looks like for a large nationwide client.
This is the quote we sent to the client. Note how much stuff is included beside photographer’s fees
Links and resources:
- www.ADBASE.com: Database of clients. In addition, provides service to run email and direct mail-in (brochure, postcards) campaigns to a targeted areas.
- Wonderful Machine: Online rep, $150 per month, promotions, listing in their directory, requires a back link from your portfolio.
- Wrokbook.com; Online reps, similar to Wonderful Machine
And the last note…
Do you know what the most useful for long-term grow for you as a successful commercial photographer?
Publicity! Position yourself as an expert in what you do, and it will bring clients to you.
Create tutorials, share ideas, lessons and BTS, publish them online (Photigy.com will help you, talk to me if you have some cool ideas for the article) and see what will happen.
All the best!